How to install WordPress themes and plugins | CMS
A WordPress theme is a group of files that controls how your blog or website looks overall. These files include graphics, style sheets, and code.
Types of WordPress themes
For the purpose of easy comprehension, we basically have two types of WordPress themes.
- free WordPress themes
- premium/paid WordPress themes
Forms of WordPress theme
We also have other forms of WordPress themes. they include:
- basic themes, child themes, framework themes, starter themes, parent themes, etc.
These are called the forms of WordPress themes because if when we start discussion on
premium themes, we have what is called child and parent themes. However, the above some of
the forms of WordPress themes.
Note: the kind of theme you apply on your website determine the website type.
what this simply means is that if you apply an educational theme, you will get an educational website,
if you apply a crypto theme, you will get a crypto website, if you apply a company theme, you will get a company
What is WordPress plugins?
A WordPress plugin is a piece of software that you may install on your WordPress site to improve its functionality. Contact-form plugins, for example, are plugins that gather information from your website’s users.
Types of WordPress plugins
Like the WordPress themes, we basically have two types of WordPress plugins.
- Free wordpress plugins: These are wordpress plugins that are totally free to use
they can be downloadedd at https://www.wordpress.org for free.
- premium or paid wordpress plugins: These are wordpress plugins that requires that
you pay certain amount of money in order to download at https://www.wordpress.com.
Recall that we said that wordpress.com is an arm of WordPress that was later formed in an attempt to
Where To Get The WordPress Themes and plugins
After talking about the types of WordPress themes and plugins we have, the next thing is to see where we can
get this WordPress themes and plugins. So below in this section of the article, I will be walking your thought on where
you can get theses WordPress themes and plugins.
Where To Get Free WordPress Themes And Plugins
- Go to your browser
- At the URL section and type wordpress.org (wordpress.org is the arm of WordPress that gives you the ability to download Free WordPress themes and plugins)
- Click on the Themes menu to download free WordPress themes – In case the list of themes displayed is not what you want, locate the search box at the top right-hand side panel
and search for any theme of your choice. You can search for the themes by name or by category
Note: it is advisable that before you proceed to download the theme, click on the More button on the desired theme to see the description of the theme or to the see the looks of the
- Click on the Download button at the top right-hand side of the page (The download will be automated)
- Proceed to upload the just downloaded WordPress theme to your WordPress dashboard.
Note: Same method is applicable to plugins if you want to download any free wordpress plugins
Where To Get Premium or Paid WordPress Themes And Plugins
- Go to your browser
- At the URL section and type themeforest.net (Themeforest is the biggest marketplace for premium WordPress themes and plugins)
- You can search for themes and plugins by name or by categories
- Click on the preview to see the looks of the theme layout to see if it suit your taste.
- After previewing the theme, you can then proceed to purchase the theme.
- After purchasing the theme, you will be given access to download the theme in zip format
- Ensure to extract the zipped theme for any additional files like documentations, demo data, etc. before uploading to your WordPress dashboard.
Note: Some Premium WordPress themes might come with a child theme and a parent theme. If so, you are advised o install the child theme first before installing the parent theme.
How to install WordPress themes and plugins